Principal Data Engineer
- Bay Area (Palo Alto, CA)
- Seattle, WA
At PrestoQ, we process and manage a lot of data. The volumes of data are in a variety of formats, which require a diversity of access patterns. We're looking for a seasoned data engineer with proven experience to look at the problems in our space with a mindset of been there, done that, here are where the dragons are. We aren't looking for an expert at MongoDB - we're looking for a data engineer with a broad understanding of patterns, practices, coding standards, vendor solutions, frameworks and tooling to choose the right solutions to meet our needs and understand how that choice fits into the roadmap of where we need to be tomorrow.
You thrive on solving new problems with capable teams and approach software engineering as a craft, not just a job. PrestoQ offers the unique challenge building an experience that spans enterprise services and consumer applications within the physical environment of a retail store.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- 10+ years of industry experience architecting, coding, verifying and operating large-scale data pipelines and architectures
- Mastery of SQL, NoSQL, Document, Key-Value, Wide Column and Blob data stores
- Operational experience with multiple vendor solutions for repository patterns and the ability to quickly identify the right solution for a given data architecture and workload
- Proven ability to collaborate with client and service engineering teams to ensure the best possible data architecture
- Operational experience architecting, building and operating large scale data warehouses and/or data lakes
- Authorization to work in the United States
Ideal candidates have:
- A mix of startup and large software company experience
- Understanding of data science and have experience building data pipelines to support data scientists
- A B.S. in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
With over $1.2 trillion in annual sales, grocery is the final frontier of retail not yet disrupted by technology. PrestoQ is an early stage startup with real clients building the technology platform that supermarkets will use to compete with the online giants who have conquered other retail markets. PrestoQ makes it cheaper, easier, and faster to shop at your local grocery store while improving profitability for the store.
Working For PrestoQ
We are working on a set of problems that require the best software engineers in the industry to get right. Our engineers are the pillars of the future of the company and they are treated and compensated as such. We're a small team of experienced industry professionals building an organization that can solve tough problems and values a collaborative environment.
Every PrestoQ engineer:
- Is a seasoned senior or principal engineer with many years of industry experience working on big, complex projects
- Has demonstrated the ability to work collaboratively in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment
- Considers software development a craft that they're on a lifetime journey to master
- Will not settle for anything less than clean, SOLID, testable code
- Takes ownership of their domain from the ground up, from architectural decisions to coding to testing to operations
- Takes pride in keeping a tidy house with minimal technical debt
- Leaves their ego at the door and ensures the best idea leaves the room
- Is always experimenting with new technologies and learning new skillsets
If you've ever wanted to work on a project that blends a gorgeous consumer experience, sophisticated logistics, and scale that rivals the largest technology players, PrestoQ is the place for you.
Participate in the upside
Our team is the pillar of the future of the company and its members are compensated as such.
Precision and purpose with a balanced life
We're focused on moving precisely and with purpose. We know that you can't sprint non-stop. We believe that precise execution by seasoned talent will outcompete frenzied hackathons.
Senior team of seasoned professionals
Work on an experienced team with other industry-leading engineers who view software engineering as a craft. Sleep well at night knowing that you're backed up by an equally top-notch business team.
We help you stay healthy with medical, dental, and vision insurance